Gynecomastia is a surgical procedure aiming to remove glandular tissue, excess fat and skin from enlarged or overdeveloped male breasts. A good candidate for this procedure is any man who wants to improve his self-esteem, who is self-conscious about his breasts and who wants to have more defined pectorals.
Each man choosing to have gynecomastia should be informed not only about the benefits of this procedure, but also about its possible risks and complications. Each surgical procedure implies some risks, and that is why, before undergoing any type of surgery, you will be asked to sign a consent form to attest that you understand all the steps of the surgery and the risks it implies.
Complications associated with gynecomastia Surgery
• Post-operative bleeding – Might require blood transfusion or draining the accumulated blood.
• Infection – If antibiotics do not work, you might need additional surgery.
• Skin scarring – If the scars are visible, unaesthetic, of different color than the skin tone or asymmetrical, revision surgery may be necessary.
• Permanent skin staining or pigmentation changes – This process is normal in wound healing, but it should not last more than 6 months.
• Unsatisfactory results – If the results are not according to your expectations, additional surgery may be necessary.
• Seronoma (swelling under the tissue) – A minor procedure is needed to drain the excess fluid.
• Asymmetry – If this does not improve in time, a second surgery might be necessary.
• Skin sag – This happens usually in patients with poor tone, and many of them are willing to accept this potential risk, without undergoing a second surgery.
• Delayed wound healing or wound disruption, especially in the case of smokers. Frequent dressing changes are required and even the surgical removal of the non-healing tissue.
• Allergic reactions to suture materials, tape, blood products, injected agents, anesthesia or topical preparations – Additional treatment might be needed.
• Shock due to extensive or multiple procedures performed at one time – Hospitalization and additional treatment might be necessary.
• Cardiac complications – Blood clots may accumulate in the venous system during the procedure and cause pulmonary or cardiac complications. If you experience unusual heart beats, chest pain or shortness of breath, ask for medical help immediately.
Gynecomastia Treatment Safe Option:
If you want to avoid all these potential complications and risks, you can always choose the safe way. If you want to treat the condition, first, you have to find out the cause. Gynecomastia might be caused by hereditary factors, fibrosis, excess use of steroids, estrogen medication or Klinefelter’s syndrome, among others.
If gynecomastia is caused by hypothyroidism, you might get rid of the condition with the right medication, usually containing synthetic thyroid hormone levothyroxine.
Gynecomastia is also a common cause for excessive fat. Therefore, try to follow a diet rich in vegetables and protein, and aim for four hours of total exercise per week. Combine resistance training with cardiovascular training. You might also try swimming, which showed good results in men dealing with gynecomastia.
Another non-surgical option might be herbal treatments, which are safe and have proven effective in reducing the fatty tissue around the breasts. Several herbal capsules also reduce estrogen production, balancing the hormonal level.
There are also homeopathic treatments , which means that small amounts of the substance which caused the illness is administered to the patient. Each homeopathic treatment is carefully prescribed after a thorough examination of the patient, to find out the cause of the condition.You can also check this proven and effective ways to cure gyncomastia.
Do not expose yourself to the risks of surgery! Consult a specialist and find out as much as possible about this condition and its cause in your case. It might be a simple hormonal imbalance, the result of medication or maybe a symptom of a health condition such as hyperthyroidism, kidney or liver failure, and you may get rid of it with simple, safe pills.